Welcome to a culinary adventure where crispy meets creamy, introducing the delightful Loaded Potato Bites. If you’re ready to embark on a journey of flavors, follow along as we unravel the secrets to creating the perfect bite-sized snacks. From the essential ingredients to the final presentation, this guide ensures you master the art of Loaded Potato Bites.
|Leftover mashed potatoes
|Shredded cheddar cheese
|Italian bread crumbs
|1 ¼ – 1 ½ cups
|Oil for frying
|Salt and Pepper
|Ranch or Honey Mustard for dipping
- Prepare the Mixture:
- Take the leftover mashed potatoes out of the fridge and let them sit for a few minutes.
- While waiting, shred the cheddar cheese, chop the scallions, and cook the bacon. Dice the bacon finely.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the potatoes and flour, stirring well. Add the shredded cheese, diced bacon, and chopped scallions.
- Take a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into a small ball. If the mixture doesn’t hold its shape, add a little more flour to make the potatoes sturdy. Repeat until done.
- Coating and Frying:
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan (or use a fryer) over medium to medium-high heat, reaching a temperature of about 350-375 degrees.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl and season it with salt and pepper. Place the bread crumbs in an additional bowl.
- Dip each potato ball into the egg mixture and then roll it in the bread crumbs until fully coated. Set aside on a sheet pan.
- Test the oil with one ball; it should bubble when the potato is in the oil, and the ball should take about 1-2 minutes to brown and cook through.
- Once the oil is ready, add potato balls in small batches and fry for 1-2 minutes, depending on their size. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper-lined plate to allow excess oil to drain off. Repeat until done.
- Serve with Dipping Sauce:
- Allow the Loaded Potato Bites to cool for a minute or two.
- Serve them with your preferred dipping sauce, whether it’s ranch or honey mustard.