Coconut– some people love it, some people hate it. If you’re in the later camp then go ahead and move it along because this recipe is not for you. But, if you’re in the former camp we just might have your new favorite treat! This easy recipe for Coconut Chewies is absolutely packed with sweet and nutty coconut flavor. With a delightfully crispy top and gooey, chewy interior, they’re all but irresistible. There’s no need to take our word for it though. Let’s get into just how they’re made!
For this recipe you’ll need only eight ingredients, most of them pantry staples. To start things out you’re going to brown the butter. If you’re not familiar with this process don’t worry, it’s really quite simple. You’ll heat one stick of butter (half a cup) in a medium-sized saucepan until it begins to boil. At this point you’ll want to continuously swirl the butter around in the pan to continue cooking, but avoid burning. The butter will start to darken and you’ll know it’s time to remove it from the heat when it’s amber in color.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups shredded sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Add butter to a large saucepan over medium- high heat. Once butter begins to boil, continuously swirl pan to prevent burning. Continue until butter darkens to an amber color, then remove from heat.
- Add the brown sugar to the warm butter and stir until fully integrated. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Fold coconut into the batter and then transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, covering with foil for the last 10 minutes. Let bars fully cool before slicing.