Indulge in the comforting nostalgia of an Old-Fashioned Custard Pie. Our time-tested recipe offers the perfect blend of creamy custard and a flaky crust, creating a delightful dessert that’s sure to evoke cherished memories and satisfy your sweet tooth.
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Custard Filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Ground nutmeg (for garnish)
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a food processor, combine the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough comes together.
- Form the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Roll Out the Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust to fit a 9-inch pie dish.
- Trim any excess dough and crimp the edges for a decorative finish.
3. Prepare the Custard Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until well combined.
- Gradually add the whole milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
4. Assemble and Bake:
- Pour the custard filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Sprinkle ground nutmeg evenly over the top for a classic touch.
5. Bake and Cool:
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until the custard is set, and the top is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool completely on a wire rack.
6. Serve and Enjoy:
- Slice and serve your Old-Fashioned Custard Pie at room temperature.
- Optionally, top with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for extra indulgence.
With our classic recipe, you can relive the sweet nostalgia of an Old-Fashioned Custard Pie. This dessert perfectly combines the creamy richness of custard with a flaky, homemade crust, resulting in a delightful treat that will evoke fond memories while satisfying your sweet tooth. This timeless pie is a comforting and delicious dessert that brings the flavors of the past to your modern-day table, whether enjoyed on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.