In this article, we’re going to dive into the world of home-cooked comfort food. We’ll explore two recipes that are sure to satisfy your taste buds: cornbread and cabbage soup. These dishes have been perfected over time, and today, I’m sharing my personal recipes and tips on how to make them extra special.
To make the perfect cornbread, you’ll need the following ingredients:
|Flour (self-rising)||2 cups|
|Buttermilk||2 cups or more|
|Oil (for the skillet)||1/4 cup|
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, and oil in a bowl.
- Add buttermilk gradually until the batter is wet but not too runny.
- Pour 1/4 cup of oil into a skillet and heat it in the oven until hot.
- Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour in the cornbread batter.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy your delicious cornbread!
Bonus: Mexican Cornbread
If you want to take your cornbread to the next level, try my Mexican cornbread variation:
|Creamed corn||1 can|
|Pepproncino peppers||To taste|
|Sharp cheddar cheese||1 small bag|
|Pepper juice||A dash|
Simply follow the same instructions as above, but add these extra ingredients to the batter before baking. It’s that simple!
Cabbage Soup Recipe
For a hearty cabbage soup, gather the following ingredients:
|Small head of cabbage||1|
|Ground sirloin||2 lbs|
|Whole tomatoes (squash)||3 large cans|
|Chili powder||1 tablespoon|
|Onions (chopped)||3 large|
|Texas Pete hot sauce||4 dashes|
|Kidney beans||1 large can|
|Pinto beans (cooked)||3 cups|
- Brown the ground sirloin with chili powder.
- In a large pot, combine the browned meat with onions, green pepper, cabbage, kidney beans, pinto beans, and enough water to make it soupy.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or more.
- Serve this comforting cabbage soup piping hot.