Get ready to discover the secret behind making KFC-style fried chicken that’s even more delicious than the original. With this copycat recipe, you can enjoy the crispy, flavorful goodness of KFC in the comfort of your own kitchen. Whether you’re a seasoned home cook or a beginner, you’ll find this recipe easy to follow and absolutely satisfying. Let’s dive in and learn how to create the perfect KFC tribute.
Before we delve into the step-by-step process, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need. Make sure to have these on hand:
|1 whole chicken, cut into pieces|
|1 cup buttermilk (for marinating)|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|1 tablespoon paprika|
|1 tablespoon onion salt|
|1 teaspoon celery salt|
|1 teaspoon rubbed sage|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon ground allspice|
|1 teaspoon ground oregano|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 teaspoon black pepper|
|1 teaspoon basil leaves, finely crushed|
|1 teaspoon marjoram leaves, finely crushed|
|Salt, to taste|
|Vegetable oil, for frying|
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s proceed with the step-by-step guide to making this incredible copycat KFC fried chicken.
Marinate the Chicken
To achieve the perfect KFC flavor and texture, marinating the chicken is crucial. Here’s how to do it:
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl.
- Cover the chicken with buttermilk, ensuring all pieces are submerged.
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 3 hours, but preferably overnight, in the refrigerator.
This marination process will infuse the chicken with flavor and tenderness, giving it that unmistakable KFC taste.
Prepare the Coating
The coating is what makes KFC chicken so crispy and flavorful. Here’s how to prepare it:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and all the herbs and spices, including paprika, onion salt, celery salt, rubbed sage, garlic powder, ground allspice, ground oregano, chili powder, black pepper, basil leaves, marjoram leaves, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the ingredients well, ensuring there are no clumps. This will be the coating for your chicken.
Coat the Chicken
Now that your chicken has marinated, it’s time to give it that iconic KFC coating:
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, allowing any excess liquid to drip off.
- Dredge each piece in the seasoned flour mixture, making sure to coat it thoroughly. This is what will give your chicken that irresistible crunch.
Fry to Perfection
Frying is where the magic happens. Follow these steps for the perfect KFC-style fry:
- In a deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add the coated chicken pieces. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan; you may need to fry in batches.
- Turn the chicken pieces occasionally to ensure they cook evenly.
- Fry until the chicken pieces are golden brown and fully cooked. This typically takes about 15-20 minutes, but the cooking time may vary depending on the size of the pieces.
Serve Your Homemade KFC Tribute
Once your chicken is fried to perfection, it’s time to serve it and relish the delicious flavors. Here’s what you should do:
- Place the fried chicken on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve your homemade KFC tribute hot, alongside your favorite side dishes. Whether it’s coleslaw, mashed potatoes, or biscuits, you’re in for a delightful meal.
A Tip for Extra Crunch
If you want an even crunchier crust, here’s a pro tip:
After the first coat of flour, dip the chicken pieces back into the buttermilk and then into the flour again. This double-dredging technique will take your KFC copycat chicken to the next level of crispy perfection.
This Copycat KFC Fried Chicken Recipe offers a taste that’s not just on par with the original but, dare we say, even better. So, gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and enjoy a homemade KFC experience like never before.
With this copycat KFC fried chicken recipe, you’ve unlocked the secret to creating a homemade version that truly rivals the original. From marinating the chicken in buttermilk to achieving that perfect crunchy coating, you now have all the tools to craft a KFC tribute that tastes even better than the real thing. So, roll up your sleeves, head to the kitchen, and get ready to impress your family and friends with your culinary skills.