Foil-Packaged Potatoes Au Gratin is a dish that combines simplicity and sophistication in one flavorful package. With creamy gruyere cheese, fragrant garlic, and perfectly sliced potatoes, it’s a favorite for gatherings and special occasions. This article will guide you through the process of making this delectable dish, from selecting the right ingredients to mastering the cooking technique.
Before we dive into the cooking process, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need:
|Potatoes (thinly sliced)||4 pounds|
|Gruyere cheese (grated)||4 ounces|
|Heavy cream||2 cups|
|Garlic cloves (minced)||4|
|Dried thyme||1 teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper (adjusted to preference)||To taste|
Now, let’s walk through the step-by-step instructions for creating Foil-Packaged Potatoes Au Gratin:
1. Prep Cream Mixture
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream, chopped shallots, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme.
- Bring the mixture to a steaming point over medium heat, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- After simmering, you can choose to blend or mash the mixture for a smoother consistency.
2. Prepare Potatoes
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them. It’s important to slice them evenly to ensure uniform cooking.
- Distribute the sliced potatoes among four sheets of aluminum foil, making sure to create a double wrap at the bottom to prevent any leakage.
3. Add Cream
- Pour the cream mixture evenly over the sliced potatoes within the foil packets.
- Seal the packets securely with an additional layer of aluminum foil to ensure they are airtight.
- Place the foil packets on a grill over low indirect heat for 20 minutes. There’s no need to flip the packets during this time.
- After 20 minutes, rotate the packets to ensure even cooking and continue grilling for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes reach your desired tenderness.
5. Cheese It Up
- Carefully open the foil packets, taking care not to burn yourself from the hot steam.
- Sprinkle the grated gruyere cheese evenly over the potatoes.
- Return the open packets to the grill and grill for an additional 10 minutes, allowing the cheese to melt and turn golden brown.